On 07-05-2012 14:37, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
I can't use alloca, because the stack-based allocation will be done in
the constructor and alloca will free the memory as soon as the
constructor exists.

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen<xtzgzo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 07-05-2012 13:58, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:

I'm working on dynamic memory layout manager. Simply put, it will
allow one to create and use struct types at run-time.
Normally, you create a struct at compile-time type by specifying an
ordered list of fields, each with its own type (basically a size) and
name.
You then access those fields by calling a compile-time evaluated dot
operator, which computes the address of the specified field given the
address of the struct.
What I'm trying to make is precisely that, except at run-time.

My question is: what is the best way of allocating such a structure on
the stack? It will, of course, have a dynamically known size.

alloca?

--
- Alex

If that's the case, I don't know how you actually want this stack allocation to work. The only way I see that you could do it would be with dirty hacks making assumptions about the compiler, platform, calling convention, ...

--
- Alex