On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 14:59:43 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 14:48:27 UTC, foobar wrote:
[...], what if I find it useful to use e.g. FORTRAN code, should the relevant functions also be in the stdlib?

No, FORTRAN has absolutely nothing to do with D. C, on the other hand, does. Both druntime and Phobos depend heavily on the C stdlib. The GC uses malloc/free, std.stdio.File is a wrapper around FILE*, etc.

-Lars

Irrelevant. For all I care druntime could be implemented in Klingon. That doesn't mean its API needs to include Klingon as well. That's called "encapsulation".