On Monday, 14 May 2012 at 05:31:01 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:> That's part of the reason I didn't really get comfortable with D programming until I bought TDPL -- I needed to learn D "from scratch", as it were, to think about it from a fresh perspective instead of bringing along my years of C/C++ baggage. For that, looking at a bunch of online reference docs didn't help: you're just learning the "vocabulary", as it were, and not really "thinking in the language". As any foreign language learner knows, you will never speak the language well if you just keep translating from your native language; you have to learn to "think in that language". I needed to read through TDPL like a newbie in order to learn to write D the way it's supposed to be written.

Once I started doing that, many things began to make a lot more sense.

Exactly! If you don't have a good concise enough overview or explanation of the language and features you end up with guesswork from all over the place. Thankfully my only OO experience beyond D2 has been Java, and that only helped me understand polymorphism and interfaces, giving me what I needed without cluttering me with the necessaries of the language. I am perhaps as 'unlearned' as I can be, aside from doing some ASM/C work (and going away from pointer and -> manipulation is nice :) )

I'm still trying to find a good OO book that will teach me how to think and build with OOP properly. I'm probably only half as effective as I could be. If you have any good book recommendations I'll try and get ahold of them.