On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:59:37 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com>
wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:50:12 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com>
wrote:

On 5/15/2012 3:34 PM, Nathan M. Swan wrote:
I do agree for e.g. with binary data some data can't be read with ranges (when
you need to read small chunks of varying size),

I don't see why that should be true.

How do you tell front and popFront how many bytes to read?

std.byLine() does it.

Have you looked at how std.byLine works? It certainly does not use a range
interface as a source.

It presents a range interface, though. Not a streaming one.

In general, you can read n bytes by calling empty, front, and popFront n times.

I hope you are not serious! This will make D *the worst performing* i/o
language.

You can read arbitrary numbers of bytes by tacking a range on after byChunk().