+1 for a GUI lib, which is in sync with DMD releases.

On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 at 12:08:37 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-05-22 13:21, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
On 2012-05-22 12:03, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
http://d-coding.com/2012/05/22/is-the-d-community-lacking-development-tools.html

I agree with basically everything in that article.

I would also appreciate any specific feedback

* do you think such project is worth the effort?

Yes

* do you feel that D ecosystem lacks tool support?

Yes

* Does this prevent many from using D?

Probably, not me though

* which tools are needed most? Which may be needed, but are not a high priority for you?

This is quite hard, that is, how to prioritize. This is my list, in no particular order:

* IDE
* Compiler (usable as a library)
* Build tool
* Testing framework
* GUI library
* Tool for automatically create bindings for C/C++/Objective-C
* ABI compatible with Objective-C, i.e. extern(Objective-C)
* Package manager
* Support for iOS

The hard thing is to prioritize. I'm thinking like this:

You need a compiler and an IDE/editor to write any tools. I would like and IDE that is just as good as Eclipse JDT. For that to happen we need a compiler usable as a library. I'm assuming we want to write as much as possible in D so a compiler written in D is necessary. A GUI library would be needed as well.

You would also need a build tool and testing framework to write new tools. Since we want to have everything as modularized and reusable as possible a package manager is also really needed.

If you also want to slap on a GUI on the tools you need a GUI library. For Mac OS X it would be a lot easier to be ABI compatible with Objective-C to create a GUI library.

For most of these tools, in particular: the build tool, testing framework and package manager it would be nice to have the compiler usable as a library. This would allow to have build scripts and other scripts written in D.

So to summarize:

A lot of the tools needed to be built depends on each other but I think most of the tools depend on a compiler, written in D, usable as a library.

* was this post useful? What could I change to make future posts in the series better?

Not really for me, nothing I didn't already know.

* should I add commenting on my blog, or dlang forum is better for that?

I prefer commenting here.