On Fri, 25 May 2012 08:39:17 +0200, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> wrote:

On 2012-05-24 21:16, Sean Kelly wrote:

I think a lot of this depends on the type of app. Interactive debugging can be impractical for server apps, but is often easy for desktop apps. Either way, I don't think anyone can say that debugger support isn't important for D in general :-)

I think a proper stack trace is more useful in most of the cases for me. That's basically the only thing I use a debugger for. D won't show a stack trace on a segmentation fault and similar.

No stack trace sucks...

    class C { int a; }
    C c;
    c.a = 1; // --- killed by signal 11
    assert(c); // nice stack trace

Couldn't dmd automatically add an assert(c) in debug mode before accessing members? I would really like to see (easy to use) non-null references. Non-null by default would have been best.