Nope, i specifically made this example because D makes no difference
between two or more functions with different return types.

Are you talking about co-variance? Could you please explain what you mean when you say D does not distinguish between return types (possibly by pointing to contexts in which this happens)? If yes then I think this a different case all together. In this case it seems picking the right function is doable, co-variance notwithstanding. Note I am not saying this can be done without making any changes to the compiler/language but whatever changes are required IMO will be small.