On 31.05.2012 22:34, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 31-05-2012 16:49, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

But this is a protection/visibility issue, which is orthogonal on the
locking capability. It's as if you say "int is not good because anyone
can overflow it." Okay! Make it private inside a CheckedInt class.

Sorry, that's a bad comparison. CheckedInt is to int, what CheckedMutex
is to mutex - but I'm not suggesting anything like a CheckedMutex. I'm
suggesting "mutex" but kept private inside the class /that it locks/.
Yes, it's a visibility issue, the issue is that the mutex used by
synchronized classes/methods is too visible/accessible and this opens it
up for deadlocks which are otherwise impossible.

Sure it's awful comparison.

So where's the mutex that would be used to synchronize objects that
are not synchronizable?

In the wrapper class/struct/object which derives a synchronized
class/struct from the original. My D foo is not strong enough to just
come up with valid D code for the idiom on the fly, but essentially you
wrap the original object in a new object using a template which adds the
mutex member and the interface methods (lock, tryLock, and unlock)
required. No, this doesn't work with "final" classes.. but it shouldn't,
they're final after all. For them you need to add/manage the mutex
manually - the price you pay for "final".

OK let me land you a hand here. My proposal, that I think fits your
ideas quite favorably.

I'll enumerate certain assumptions beforehand since it's one of most
confusing threads I ever followed.

1. synchronized class means: always allocate hidden monitor mutex, lock
it on every public method of this class.

If this means that the monitor field in regular objects goes away, then
I'm all for this, at least.

Yes, it removes monitor in non-synchronized object. Glad you we are in agreement here.

And all public methods lower to :

<signature>
{
this.hidden__monitor.lock();
scope(exit) this.hidden__monitor.unlock();
... //code

Dmitry Olshansky