On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 at 22:01:50 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 5/29/12 2:49 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

It doesn't, and neither does C#. Java still encourages using synchronized, and C# still encourages using lock, but many prominent figures in those programming language communities have written blog posts on why these language constructs are evil and should be avoided.

Besides, it seems to me that D can't quite make up its mind. We have TLS by default, and we encourage message-passing (through a library mechanism), and then we have the synchronized statement and attribute. It just seems so incredibly inconsistent. synchronized encourages doing the wrong thing (locks and synchronization).

I can't remember having read those blog posts. I agree message passing is a better abstraction, but I haven't read Josh Bloch, for example, saying "don't use synchronized".