Alex Rønne Petersen:

Further, I doubt the GCC maintainers would actually approve of doing this.

I know nothing about how GCC maintainers do their work. Can you explain why they have accepted a D front-end but refuse a change like that? Are they believing that D is a kind of re-syntaxed C/C++ that requires zero back-end changes?

Are LLVM developers sharing the same opinions? In the LLVM blog I have read plenty about small but significant changes in LLVM needed to implement an efficient back-end for GHC (the main Haskell compiler), so are LLVM developers different and more gentle than the GCC devs?

Thank you for your answers,
bearophile