On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 18:40:50 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:55:44 Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> Many languages does this (it doesn't mean it is the right > thing
> to do). Do you know why this shouldn't be done ?

In C++ it was exception safety, wasn't it?

I believe that it was purely a question of speed. If popFront returns an element, then that element gets copied, and if you didn't need to access the element, then that's wasted cycles. You have to worry about exceptions in
either case, depending on the what popFront is doing.

- Jonathan M Davis

If you pop from a container and return this the copy constructor / postblit will run. If in this moment a exception is thrown, than this value is lost.