On Monday, July 09, 2012 23:00:39 Timon Gehr wrote:
On 07/09/2012 10:46 PM, bearophile wrote:
Jacob Carlborg:
import std.algorithm;
import std.range;

struct Foo {}

auto f = Foo();
auto foos = [f];
auto foo = foos.map!(x =>  "foo");
auto bar = foo.chain("bar");

I suggest to always compile with "-wi -property".

Both -property and -w/-wi are broken and their only merit so far is to
break my builds for no reason.

-wi spits out about 4000 lines of false (duplicate) warnings when run
against my code base.

I'd actually argue the opposite. I think that they should be the normal
behavior, and if you're getting a ton of warnings, I'd argue that you have a
ton of problems that need fixing.

Nonsense. I explicitly expressed that the warnings I get are bare of
value.

dmd is generally good about not having
useless warnings.

case 0,1: // warning: switch fallthrough (nonsense)
case 2,3:

This is the only kind of warning I get (clearly a bug, and it is reported). After that, the compiler spits out ~4000 lines of completely
unrelated internal AST from a different module.

Now, with the current version of github, it unfortunately
seems to spit out a bunch of duplicate messages for the same error/warning
with templates in a number of cases, and _that_ should be fixed, but the
warnings themselves are generally solid and indicators of a real problem.

And as I've expressed in the past, I think that -property is very much doing
the right thing and that not strictly enforcing properties is horrible,

Language design shouldn't be based on statements like "I think it is
horrible". There is nothing objective in it.

but obivously we're in disagreement on that.

What we disagree on is what is called a property and what is called a
function call. I am ok with disallowing function calls of the form
function = argument.