On Thursday, 12 July 2012 at 22:02:19 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:35:23 -0400, monarch_dodra <monarch_do...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, 12 July 2012 at 21:18:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

If opSlice is to be used, this is how it should go (in order of precedence):

1. if aggr has opApply or opApplyReverse, use it.

2. if aggr has opSlice, and the result of aggr.opSlice() has opApply or opApplyReverse, use it.

3. if aggr has opSlice, and the result of aggr.opSlice() has empty/front/popfront, use it as in your 2a above.

4. if aggr has empty/front/popFront, use it as in your 2b above.

5. static or dynamic array.

I should also note that the existence of opApply should not preclude later possibilities if that opApply can't compile for the given foreach parameters.

-Steve

4.1:Make copy first.

Kenji's 2b does do that:

for (auto __r = aggr; // If aggr is copyable, saves the original range.
      !__r.empty;
      __r.popFront()) { auto e = __r.front; ...body... }

-Steve

Oh, right "use it as in _your_ 2b above". Didn't get what you meant at first.

About the if "opApply can't compile": Do you mean:
a) If there is no matching opApply function?
b) Or if there is an actual error in the body of opApply?
I think you meant a) ?

I think your 1. and 2. should instead read:
1. if aggr has a matching opApply or opApplyReverse, use it.
2. if aggr has opSlice, and the result of aggr.opSlice() has a matching opApply or opApplyReverse, use it.