On 14-07-2012 01:49, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 01:31:02AM +0200, Paul D. Anderson wrote:
I took a quick look at the Ceylon language (http://ceylon-lang.org/)
[...]
They also have couple of operators, '===' and '<=>' meaning
'identical' and 'compare', respectively.

Yikes! As soon as I saw '===', I went "no way, no how". That's one of
the most egregious flaws of languages like JavaScript. And they have
'is' on top of that?! Double yikes! What _must_ their type system look
like?!

They have an identity operator but also have the keyword 'is', which
should give you an inkling of the languages complexity. I assume
'compare' is the same as D's 'opCmp', and it strikes me as a useful
operator. (Although I think the unusual comparison operators in D
('!<>=') wound up high on the list of the "too many features" post.
[...]

Yeah... when I got to operators in my D lexer toy implementation, I was
dumbstruck at how many ASCII UFOs ^W^W I mean, comparison operators D
has. Most of which I have a hard time imagining a use for.

They were originally meant for some potential close-to-the-machine FPU code. I have yet to see any actual code that needed them (i.e. as opposed to library helper routines).

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
a...@lycus.org