On 7/25/12 4:53 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

On 25.07.2012 19:24, Walter Bright wrote:
Yes, and both debug and release build times are important.

Optimized build time comparisons are less relevant - are you really
willing to trade off faster optimization times for less optimization?

I think it's more the time of the edit-compile-debug loop, which would
be the unoptimized build times.

The "edit-compile-debug loop" is a use case where the D module system
does not shine so well. Compare build times when only editing a single
source file:
With the help of incremental linking, building a large C++ project only
takes seconds.
In contrast, the D project usually recompiles everything from scratch
with every little change.

The same dependency management techniques can be applied to large D projects, as to large C++ projects. (And of course there are a few new ones.) What am I missing?