On 8/1/2012 10:31 PM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 04:38:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
That's just not going to produce a high performance lexer.

The way to do it is in the Lexer instance, have a value which is the current
Token instance. That way, in the normal case, one NEVER has to allocate a
token instance.

Only when lookahead is done is storage allocation required, and that list
should be held by Lexer and recycled as tokens get consumed. This is how the
dmd lexer works.

Doing one allocation per token is never going to scale to trying to shove
millions upon millions of lines of code through it.

Which is exactly why I'm pointing out the current, poor approach. Having a
single array with contiguous Tokens for lookahead is completely doable even when
Token is a class with some simple GC.malloc and emplace composition. I think
SDC's Token class is too big to be useful as a struct, you'd pretty much never
want to pass it anywhere by value.

Using a class implies an extra level of indirection, and the other issue is the only point to using a class is if you're going to derive from it and override its methods. I don't see that for a Token.

Use pass-by-ref for the Token.