What I was expecting there to  be was a type which was a range of tokens.  You
passed the source string to a function which returned that range, and you
iterated over it to process each token. What you appear to have been arguing
for is another type which you get the range from which holds additional state
(e.g. the indentifier table). So, you're saying now that you only meant that
the token type needs to be separate from the range type (which I would have
thought would be the only way to do it), or are you indeed saying that there
should be another type that the range comes from and which holds additional
state?

You could do it either way.