On 2012-08-02 07:44, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 22:33:12 Walter Bright wrote:
The lexer must use char or it will not be acceptable as anything but a toy
for performance reasons.

Avoiding decoding can be done with strings and operating on ranges of dchar,
so you'd be operating almost entirely on ASCII. Are you saying that there's a
performance issue aside from decoding?

Somebody has to convert the input files into dchars, and then back into
chars. That blows for performance. Think billions and billions of
characters going through, not just a few random strings.

Why is there any converting to dchar going on here? I don't see why any would
be necessary. If you reading in a file as a string or char[] (as would be
typical), then you're operating on a string, and then the only time that any
decoding will be necessary is when you actually need to operate on a unicode
character, which is very rare in D's grammar. It's only when operating on
something _other_ than a string that you'd have to actually deal with dchars.

I think you two are saying the same things.

--
/Jacob Carlborg