On Saturday, 25 August 2012 at 19:39:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/25/2012 6:03 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
Okay, so bitfields are rarely used, but many templates involve some use of CTFE, and templates are very common in D code. It's good that D's parser is fairly simple to implement (compared to C++ anyway), but to do automated refactoring you need simple semantic analysis, and this is something that D does not have.

How many IDEs can handle the C preprocessor, with token pasting and all, when refactoring?

Straw man - I didn't suggest that the C preprocessor was any better. C++ is similarly criticised for its poor IDE support (when compared with C# and Java) due to the pre-processor and templates. If you haven't seen the level of support that (for example) Visual Studio provides for C# then I recommend checking it out. I imagine the situation with Java and Eclipse is similar, but I don't have any experience there.