On Monday, 27 August 2012 at 14:53:57 UTC, F i L wrote:
in C#, you use 'new Type()' for both classes and structs, and it works fine. In fact, it has some benefit with generic programming. Plus, it's impossible to completely get away from having to understand the type, even in C++/D today, because we can always make factory functions:

I'm sure in C# that all structs and classes are heap allocated (It takes after C++ very likely) that's the simplest way to do it. You can do that in C++ as well, but other than having to declare it a pointer first. In C++ they made structs 'classes that are public by default' by it's definition I believe. Considering how C++ is set up that makes perfect sense.

    FooType newFoo() {
        return new FooType( ... );
    }

    void main() {
        auto f = newFoo(); // struct or class?
    }

By looking at newFoo I'd say a class; But if like in C# I'm sure you can't tell the difference (But C++ with the pointer you can). And for factory functions I'd put them inside the struct/class, unless I had a compelling reason not to.

  class Record {
    static Record newRecord(string options) {
      Record rec = new Record();
      // stuff building the complex record
      return rec;

However, I do agree it would be nice having some kind of distinction between stack/heap allocation and copy/ref semantics. Because constructor names are completely arbitrary in my proposal, I think you could easily just choose a different name (say, 'new' vs 'set').

    struct Foo {
        this set() { ... }
    }

    class Bar {
        this new() { ... }
    }

    void main() {
        auto f = Foo.set( ... ); // stack/copy
        auto b = Bar.new( ... ); // heap/ref
    }

Again, this is just an arbitrary distinction and wouldn't be enforced, so third-party libs could choose something completely different... but then, they always could (like above) so it's benefit is debatable.

I've had ideas before about having two different '=' operators for assignment and copy, but honestly, I think just looking up and understanding the types you're working with might be the best solution. A task much easier with proper IDE tooltips and the like.

Would new still be a key word?

No. You could just as easily name your constructor 'freshCopyYo()'. In fact, you often want multiple constructor names for different constructing procedures, like I explain in my original post. For instance if you're loading from a file, having a 'load()' constructor makes more sense than 'new()'. When converting from some other type, have a 'from()' constructor. The name implies the action, but they all "construct" the type:

    class Text
    {
        this new()         // blank
        this new(string s) // basic constructor

        this from(int i)   // convert from int
        this from(float f) // convert from float

        this load(string filename) // load from file
    }

All of these are constructors, because they're return type is 'this'. They all implicitly allocate an object and have a 'this' reference. However, their names and implementations are completely arbitrary, which is a good thing because we need and use these arbitrary constructors all the time today, we just have to do it in a completely inconsistent way (static factory functions).

And a postblits would end up being...? The extra 'this' makes it look like an obvious typo or a minor headache.

 this this(this){} //postblitz?

Honestly I kinda like it how it is now. It's fairly clear and concise. Only if you start getting creative can it begin to get confusing; Then again in any language someone who decided to make it confusing would make it confusing regardless.

--

enum JOJOJO = 100;

class Jo {
  int jojo1;

  Jo jo(Jo JOO) {
    int jojo = 10;
    int joJo = JOJOJO;
    Jo JO = new Jo();
    // and so on and so forth.

// Make a new Jo!
Jo newJo(){
  return Jo.jo(null);
}

Jo something = newJo(); //now is this a class or a struct :P Right back at you.

--

Seriously... Actually if you get it confusing enough you could submit it to The International Obfuscated C Code Contest. http://www.ioccc.org/

I would say if 'new' is part of the function name, it's returns a class. If it's referenced (or a pointer), it could be either. But not having a universal constructor would make creating an array with defaults impossible without declaring/hinting which one to use. It's one reason structs have to have good contents for all it's data members at compile-time, so you could create an array with defaulted information that works.

If we take your approach and suggestion, which one should the compile assume?

 Something globalSomething;

 class Something {
   this defaultConstructor();
   this duplicate(); //or clone
   this copyGlobalSomething();
   this constructorWithDefault(int x = 100);
 }

By signature alone... Which one? They are all legal, they are uniquely named, and they are all equal candidates. Order of functions are irrelevant.