On Sunday, 26 August 2012 at 10:32:37 UTC, Mike James wrote:

"Manu" <turkey...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.1410.1345976415.31962.digitalmar...@puremagic.com... Looks good, though one thing annoys me as always throughout the D docs, liberal use of auto can make them very difficult to understand. auto result = hash.finish();From the examples where this appears, I have absolutely no idea what 'result' could possibly be and what I can do with it, and you're forcing me to go and dig further for that information (waste of time). Surely there would be no harm in just writing the type there for clarity?

I also find this very annoying. I'm trying to learn what types different methods return but i have no idea what is beneath an auto type. Explicit types would aid learning so much more! I understand the need for the auto keyword as a shortcut for productivity but you need to understand the underlying type before you're really comfortable with auto. I would like to see all examples in the language reference using explicit types purely for clarity.