On 9/2/12 10:24 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
[snip]

The alternative would be to simply define these as functions:

if (a.among("struct", "class", "union")) { ... }
if (b.between(1, 100)) { ... }

Is between inclusive or not of the endpoints?

After quite a bit of thought, I think inclusive is the right way.

Then there's no way to specify an empty interval. I suppose with "between" that would not be relevant.

There are two
reasons:

1. Ranges that end in e.g. float.max or int.max would not be expressible if
bounds were not included.

2. SQL defines between to include the limits, which sets a precedent.

Ranges are open to the right but I think intervals are quite different.