On 03/09/12 23:48, Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
On Monday, 3 September 2012 at 11:17:39 UTC, Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
1) Empty array stands in for empty variadic. [snip]

In reality, though, we have neither of these things. [snip]

Turns out, I was quite wrong, and I'm happy to be.  Empty array is
accepted for typesafe variadics just fine ... I'm not sure now why I
thought otherwise.

Of course, our tangent is really sort of moot, since the brackets would
be required for any pattern with a suffix matching the optional
arguments anyhow, at which point there's little point in having the
variadic argument.  I reiterate my impression that magical __FILE__ and
__LINE__ should be provided by some other means.

It was a special-case hack to fix a special-case need. It was extremely easy to implement (about 2 hours work) and has been very successful in fixing that need. Everything else that anyone has talked about is at least ten times as complicated, and doesn't seem to offer significant advantages.

It's really easy to come up with over-engineered solutions to these sorts of things.