On 15-09-2012 15:24, Henning Pohl wrote:
On Saturday, 15 September 2012 at 12:49:23 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sat, 2012-09-15 at 14:44 +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
[…]

Anyway, it's too late to change it now.

I disagree. There are always opportunities to make changes to things,
you just have manage things carefully.

I don't know if people really use the ability of references being null.
If so, large amounts of code will be broken.

The best way to stay tuned for that change is to always pray references
to be valid, thus to do no explicit runtime checks.

Are you using reference runtime checks in your current code?

D has null references, so I use them. I would prefer option types, but they are too verbose in D as things stand.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
a...@lycus.org