On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 at 21:19:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:12:50 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hst...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

Reformatting and reinstalling, though, is a matter of course on any Windows installation that I've ever seen. I've heard of such things as stable Windows installations, but as far as my experience goes those are mythical beasts.

My desktop's XP installation (SP2 even) has been aces for years. And years ago, when I did have to reinstall, it was just because of something stupid I'd done.

I've seen plenty of screwed up Win boxes (even Win7), but it's always owned by someone who doesn't even know what a "web browser" is, so I figure chances are it's due to one of two things:

A. The user doing something stupid.

B. The user not using the web the way I do: with Adblock Plus installed, and JS and Flash disabled by default.

I vote +1 for (A). :)

It's not a mythical beast, it's sitting right in front of me!

My situation with Windows 7 has been quite stable too.

FYI, my Windows is run:
- Without any antimalware software of any kind (I hate them)
- Always with admin privileges (UAC turned off)
- In "Test Mode" (security risk in terms of digital signatures)
- I currently boot 5 OSes:
- Windows 7 x64, the original which the laptop came with, which I use 99% of the time
  - Windows 8 I installed a few weeks ago for trying it out
  - Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit for testing stuff
  - Linux (Ubuntu) x64 for when I need it
- I mess with partitions every few weeks
- I hack around with Windows internals quite a bit ;)

Guess which OS is the one that I've reinstalled a bazillion times? Ubuntu.

And it _still_ doesn't boot automatically!
I tell it to install Grub, and it says OK.
It even _force_ it to reinstall Grub, and it says OK, I reinstalled myself. Then I reboot and it goes onto the screen and just... doesn't boot.
I have to type in the boot sequence commands myself.
Why? Because a random, unrelated partition on the disk changed and Ubuntu freaked out.

At least when Windows has the occasional boot problem which I stupidly caused, it's _fixable_ and doesn't lie to you about having fixed it!!