On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 12:31:08 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 11:51:13 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
The biggest issue with not having a no-arg constructor can easilly be seen if you have ever worked with a "Reference Semantic" semantic struct: A struct that has a pointer to a payload. Basically, a class, but without the inherited Object polymorphism.

This means that you still have a class object. What is design behind inserting class into the structure for the sake of escaping from classes?

That's not the point at all. For starters, the "Payload" is another struct, NOT a class wrapped in a struct.

As for why we aren't using a class to begin with? First, because a class wraps much more than we want: polymorphism, adherence to a base "Object Type", virtual opEquals, RTTI...

But mostly, because the object we manipulate is a struct and has always been a struct. It uses reference semantics, but is in dire need of a an initialization to default.