On Thursday, 20 September 2012 at 18:12:50 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:15:19 -0400, monarch_dodra <monarchdo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 September 2012 at 16:02:41 UTC, Hauleth wrote:
Some time ago I've asked on SO why most languages have `0` prefix for octal numbers. My opinion is the same as D designers that it cause a lot of bugs, but why octal numbers are avaible only by using `std.conv.octal`?

AFAIK: It is experimental. "The $(D octal) facility is intended as an experimental facility to replace _octal literals starting with $(D '0'), which many find confusing."

That comment is very old.  It is no longer experimental.

If you want an explanation, see here:

http://www.drdobbs.com/tools/user-defined-literals-in-the-d-programmi/229401068

-Steve

Very interesting read. TY.