On 2012-09-24 00:11, bearophile wrote:
This is a complex topic, and in this post I am not able to discuss
everything that needs to be discussed. So I will discuss only part of
the story.

First: tuples are important enough. I think they should be built-in in a
modern language, but maybe having them as half-built-in will be enough
in D. Currently in D we have (deprecated) built-in complex numbers that
I use only once in a while, and half-usable library defined tuples that
I use all the time.

Second: removing comma operator from D has some advantages unrelated to
tuple syntax. Even disallowing bad looking C-like code that uses commas
is an improvement by itself (but maybe it's not a big enough
improvement...).

Third: replacing the packing syntax tuple(x,y) with (x,y) is nice and
maybe even expected in a partially functional language as D, but that's
_not_ going to improve D usability a lot. What I am asking for is
different: I'd like D tuples to support handy unpacking syntax:

1) In function signatures;
2) In foreach;
3) At assignment points;
4) In switch cases.