On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 at 22:09:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hello all,

[SNIP]

We want to move dmd forward faster, and we're encouraging committers to be more aggressive about reviewing and merging patches. Language changes will still have to get through Scylla and Charybdis (that's Walter and yours truly), but bug fixes and other non-controversial work can be safely parallelized.

[SNIP]

Thanks,

Andrei

[SNIP]

Any chance we could see some sort of "dedicated hand holders" for the newer contributors? That or "semi-trusted" validators: They wouldn't have the power to merge themselves, but could still tag pulls as "Validated by XXX": Basically, a screening process.

I know that personally, I feel like I can help, but at the same time, I know I sometimes try to push some bad code/design. I'm glad there is someone that actually takes the time to review my code, but at the same time, I don't want to bother the dedicated pullers that already have a lot on their plate.

Also (but more related to Phobos), I have myself tried to review others' code (when my field of knowledge permits), but it seems like it is not something that is done very often.

Overall, I think the most important thing would be promoting cross puller reviews. If only just to say "looks good to me!": It can give the puller that extra confidence in the pull, without having to delve into it.

I don't mind having to wait 3 weeks for a pull to go through, but it is kind of weird when the pull just sits there with no comments *from anyone* during those 3 weeks...