On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:58:08PM -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:
> [...]
> > I don't know what's involved in getting built-packages into the
> > various distributions.  I suspect that a number of them prefer to be
> > built by their own automation from original (or forked) sources.  I'd
> > be happy to engage with the appropriate people to explore ways to work
> > together in this space.
> [...]
>
> For Debian, the process is relatively simple:
>
> 1) Create a debian/ subdir in the source tree, with appropriate
>    control files (for existing packages, this has already been done)
>    a) Update debian/changelog to reflect the new version number.
>    b) Adjust any necessary dependencies, etc., in debian/control.
>
> 2) Build the package by running 'dpkg-buildpackage ...' in the source
>    tree. This creates a bunch of files (including the binary .deb) in
>    the parent directory.
>
> 3) [Optional] Preferably, test the .deb to make sure it doesn't cause
>    massive system breakage.
>
> 4) Upload the generated package files in the parent directory by the
>    build process, either by sending it to a sponsor or uploading it
>    directly to the upload queue if you have upload access. The dupload
>    script automatically determines which file(s) should be uploaded.
>
> Once the package is uploaded successfully, the autobuilder
> infrastructure can be used to build the package for the umpteen
> architectures that Debian supports.
>
> IIRC, once the package gets into the Debian archive it will eventually
> find its way into Ubuntu (and possibly the other Debian derivatives).

That works well for packages which are single source tree.  The current
dmd, druntime, phobos, d-programming-language, tools separation makes that
a little more challenging to put together, but not a lot.  It's probably
worth doing regardless.  I realize that gdc and ldc are both in better
shape in this area already.

#4 there implies it's a source package, though I could be mis-interpreting
you.  Is there a path for externally built binary packages?  That's fairly
counter to the general distribution philosophy for most of them, so I'm
giong to guess no.

Thanks,
Brad