On Friday, 28 September 2012 at 00:17:43 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Most comparisons between Go and D on Reddit aren't good, but this time there is an almost decent comparison between D and Rust:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/10k9ao/why_i_think_rust_is_the_language_of_the_future/

I think the most direct competitor of D is going to become Rust (beside of course C# and C++), because Go has different enough purposes.

From the thread I have also learnt that some months ago they have removed typestate from Rust, because it doesn't pull its weight, as Andrei says (I think Rust was the first serious attempt at using this language feature, and now it will be hard to see another language with it):

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2012-July/002094.html

https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/1805

https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/2178

Bye,
bearophile

I like Rust specially due to the ML influence the language has.

Currently I only have two issues with the language:

- funny characters a la Perl for the pointer types scattered everywhere - their tendency to shorten reserved words (already discussed here)

Other than that it seems a nice language.

Go can be a systems programming language, as others have proven in research. Oberon, Modula-3, Sing# and so on.

But the language is nothing more than an improved C, and we don't need to throw away all the nice abstractions that are now mainstream in computing. Plus if you pay attention, Go talks are always about Web/REST servers.

I already can do that with JVM/.NET languages, with better performance as Go, without giving up all the nice abstractions the languages offer. Go would have been dead already, if it wasn't developed inside Google.

I am looking forward to D and Rusts future.

--
Paulo