On Monday, 1 October 2012 at 06:18:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

A function which uses __ctfe should probably do essentially the same thing at both runtime and compile time, but it _has_ __ctfe, because the runtime implementation won't work at compile time, and it's up to the programmer to make sure that the function does what it's supposed to at both compile time
and runtime. The compiler can't possibly enforce that.

Thus we're in a situation where pure means pure only by convention, not because it's enforced by the compiler. It's like const in c++ then, it's const only by convention, only because people promise that they're not going to mutate it. I don't like rules that are enforced only by everybody relying on good manners.