On Friday, 5 October 2012 at 13:47:00 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Friday, 5 October 2012 at 00:22:04 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, October 05, 2012 02:08:14 bearophile wrote:
[SNIP]
Regarding definition of variables in D language constructs, there
is one situation where sometimes I find D not handy. This code
can't work:

do {
const x = ...;
} while (predicate(x));

You need to use:

T x;
do {
x = ...;
} while (predicate(x));

Yeah. That comes from C/C++ (and is the same in Java and C#, I believe). I
don't know why it works that way. It's definitely annoying.

[SNIP]

- Jonathan M Davis

Because it's the only way to guarantee that x exits when you reach the end of the loop.

do {
  if(true) continue; //Yawn... skip.
  const x = ... ;
} while (predicate(x)); //What's x?

Basic goto limitations. Unlike goto though, inserting a "continue" should never create a compile error, so the compiler *has* to guarantee that the if condition references nothing inside its own block.

It is annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed with a scope bloc.

There is a simple way around this... which addresses both concerns raised...
1. Semantics of old code is unchanged.
2. no issue with 'continue'

do(const x = ...)
{