On 10/10/12 14:09, bearophile wrote:
  From Reddit, a nice survey:
http://www.reddit.com/r/coding/comments/118ssp/honours_student_at_my_university_is_doing_a/

For my Computer Science Honours research project, I am currently
investigating ways of improving the terse, technical error messages
given by traditional compilers to make them more useful to novice
programmers. As part of this research, I have designed this survey to
help determine which types of common novice errors are inadequately
reported by a traditional compiler and to gather ideas on how they
should be reported to a novice.<

http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=23752434-e25f-4a48-86bf-bb2634e1b5ce

So this survey is not to improve error messages in general, it's
specific for newbies. So the error situations shown in the survey
are not typical for C programmers.

Below some of the examples converted to D, with their relative
error messages.

Many of the things you report are examples of bug 8684. Please file bug reports for any others you think are important.