It seems D comes up often in Rust threads :-)

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/11j38z/mozilla_and_the_rust_team_announce_version_04_of/

I still think D and Rust should join forces to design a single GC usable for both languages :-) Their GC needs are not _that_ different.

A question in that thread:
My question is, what are the advantages of Rust over D? How do you think they compare?

An answer by ssylvan:

For me, the memory management of Rust (the three pointer types, per-task GC), as well as the additional safety (in particular, D still has nulls all over the place - IME the by far most common remaining "real world" crash seen in so called "memory safe" languages - it's unfortunate because we know that they can be statically eliminated). Also, not a fan of the class/struct distinction in D, I think it encourages heap allocations, whereas Rust drastically prefers big chunky objects that mostly stay on the stack or inside another object with only the extremely rare allocation, and even then most of those can be unique (no GC/RC).<

Bye,
bearophile