On 10/15/12 9:29 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
Hmm, I didn't know 'sort' returns a value. That's very confusing
since now I have no idea if it's mutating or not. Python has both
sort and sorted, with clear meanings. (The goal was to make a
non-mutating version that I could call functional.) Maybe we
should clarify what sort exactly does and doesn't do...

std.algorithm operates in place wherever possible, and sort's result is a view on the same range as the original, but with new capabilities created by the sorting process. I think it's a very elegant design.