On 27/10/12 20:39, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 08:26:21PM +0200, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On 10/27/12, H. S. Teoh <hst...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
         writeln("how did the assert not trigger??!!");       // how did we get
here?!

Maybe related to -release?
[...]

Haha, you're right, the assert is compiled out because of -release.

But I disassembled the code, and didn't see the "auto x = 1/toInt()"
either. Is the compiler optimizing that away?

Yes, and I don't know on what basis it thinks it's legal to do that.

Also, is that even a good idea? Shouldn't we be throwing an exception
here instead of trying to trigger integer division by zero (which may
not even terminate the program, depending on the OS, etc.)?

The intention was that it should behave _exactly_ like an integer division by zero.

It's bug 8021, BTW.