On Tuesday, 30 October 2012 at 18:53:23 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 30-10-2012 19:35, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 October 2012 at 13:55:42 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 30-10-2012 14:46, Isak Andersson wrote:
Based on my experience POSIX compliance is like any standard.

You end up getting lots of #ifdef for each POSIX system anyway. The only people that think POSIX is a standard without any issues, only
know GNU/Linux.

One thing missing from the list which costs a lot of effort, is code
generation.

Based on my toy Solaris experience with DMD, I think it is easier to
use LDC or GDC for bringing D to other platforms.

--
Paulo

Yeah, it seems like POSIX kind of failed in the sense that you can't just have a simple posix makefile that works for any posix compliant os.

I direct you to the POSIX makefiles of DMD, druntime, and phobos. ;)

Which as far as I am aware only work on POSIX == Linux.

Er... they work on Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris/SunOS.

Ok I was a bit stupid with my remark, sorry about that.

Anyway, I remember when I tried my toy experiment with porting DMD for Solaris I had to do some patches.

You would be surprised what commercial UNIX systems understand as POSIX vs what the standard says. Somehow I don't miss my days porting software among UNIX platforms.

--
Paulo