One solution is frequency agility. Most modern transceivers can be
QSY'd by station automation software, which could monitor several
frequencies within a semi-automatic sub-band for inbound traffic. An
attended station wishing to engage an unattended station would send a
request on a locally-clear frequency; if no response were received, it
would assume this frequency to be busy at the unattended station's
QTH, and try an alternate frequency.

Coordination within the semi-automatic sub-bands would also help.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "RussellHltn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> restrictions... nor do we need to further restrict the automatic and
> semiautomatic modes...
>
> ...it is now possible to write software to detect channel busy
> situations...<<<
>
> That's fine for protecting attended modes from fully-automatic
unattended
> modes, but what about those who are setting up NTS-like systems?
Shouldn't
> something be set up for them?
>
> Innovation is not limited to just attended modes.  I don't see a
software
> solution to helping out the fully-automatic if they have to wait for
> everyone else to clear out of the frequency to operate.  At least a
> gentleman's agreement to avoid a sub-band would help and some kind of
> coordination so that different systems can be coordinated in that
sub-band.

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/

Discussion Forums at http://www.obriensweb.com