At 10:23 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
>If you tried to use Olivia at 250 Hz what kind of character speed would you
>get?  None are useable from what I have determined. In fact, I made up a
>chart to reflect the practical number tones to BW and there aren't that
>many. When you try to go faster than the default, to a more realistic speed,
>say 4 to 5 CPS, you have to accept the wide BW operation of Olivia.
>
>Isn't it correct that even at 500 Hz you would only be able to use 2 tones
>and still only have a 3.3 CPS rate? How robust would this be? Has it been
>your experience that it can compare to MFSK16? Even though you are going to
>be wider than MFSK16?

You are correct at 250 Hz the fastest character speed would occur at 2
tones.  In fact 2 tones gives you the fastest character speed for any
BW.  BW/ tones = baud rate.  2 tones give you the shallowest interleave so
you would not be able to survive long fades.  You are also correct that
with Olivia characters per second is not the strength.  The FEC and
interleaving are the strengths. My gut tells me that Olivia will rx in the
noise a little better.

73,

Mark N5RFX

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/