Hi Danny,

Under serious emergencies involving the safety of life or property you can
theoretically do certain things that you can not legally do under normal
circumstances. (If you have had the ARRL Emcomm class you know that there
can be some limitations so good judgement needs to be used.

One could argue that it is unnecessary to get an amateur radio license
because you will just use the equipment if such an occasion occurs. If you
are going to have a successful effort to provide emcomm support, it has to
be practiced frequently. You don't want to have your first practice on the
day of the emergency.

The participation in nets may be variable depending upon where you live. I
would not say that our nets are larger or have more traffic today than they
did 20 or more years ago. It seems that as we lose the older CW operators we
may not be seeing new hams replace them.

Do others find that their NTS nets are doing much better than 10 to 20 years
ago?

Although there is continuing interest in ham digital communications that may
not necessarily mean increased numbers of ARES/RACES operators using these
modes. However, what was considered good communications support only a few
years ago, no longer holds true. Served agencies expect e-mail
communications and they want it with attachments. This is not something that
conventional NTS nets or even most digital networks can handle. That is why
ARRL has such a sweeping ARESCOM proposal.