When Hams don't think they may add value to emergency communications,
its all over!

Steve, k4cjx

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg Hendry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Buddy,
>
> Great points you make there.  You are absolutely correct about
technology!  I mean, they now have cellphones that don't need towers
or electricity to function properly.  Cellphones always work
perfect.  And telephone service, why the phone systems never fail!

> 1. 9/11/2001 - When the WTC collapsed, it took with it a majority
of cellphone, public service, and broadcast transmitters with it.  In
the ensuing chaos, the remaining cellphone circuits jammed within
SECONDS rendering cellphone service virtually useless within 10 miles
of ground zero.

> 2. The date I do not recall, but when a US Air Boeing 737 crashed
while on approach to Pittsburgh International Airport the crash site
was remote-enough that many of the responding fire/rescue/police
units were out of range from their 800mhz trunked systems.  In
addition, when they reverted to cellphone use, they found the
circuits almost immediately swamped because of a lack of coverage and
everyone trying to use their phones.  Commercial broadcast media
urged people to avoid using cellphones - or even landlines in the
area of the accident so that emergency personnel could communicate.
The crash occurred a few miles outside a fairly good sized city and
only 20 miles from Downtown Pittsburgh.

> 3. Within the last 2 years, again the exact date I do not recall, a
contractor accidentally cut a fiberoptic cable in a rural area
between Huntington and Charleston, WV.  This cut randomly crippled
local and long-distance telephone circuits in both cities for almost
8 hours.

> Now, do I advocate a system that sometimes blocks large chunks of
spectrum - absolutely not!  But if you truly believe that ham radio
is useless, then please surrender your license to the FCC - you are
needlessly taking-up a callsign assignment that would be used by
someone else.

> Gregg Hendry
> W8DUQ

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/