It has been my understanding that the PMBOs each have a set of frequencies,
but no two on the same band, and the scanning is first on one band then on
another, etc.  I know that there are stations that can only work a given
PMBO on a given band, so in order for them to use the PMBO, the
band that is suitable for them at the time needs to be checked periodically
by the PMBO.    Is that not the logic behind "scanning"?

Regards,
Chuck AA5J

At 11:27 AM 4/18/2005, you wrote:

>The Erlang numbers are commonly used when sizing telephone systems. Just
>look at an normal family. If you have four people in the house with one
>phone, then the odds are pretty high that you will get contention over
>the use of the phone. If you have two phones, the odds drop
>dramatically. Three is even better and four goes to zero. But buying
>four phone lines is expensive, especially when the probability of all
>four people needing the same phone line is essentially 0. Erlang's
>numbers are based on the probability for different types of needs.
>
>If there is only one PMBO, it doesn't matter if they are scanning or
>not. There's a maximum of one connection. If there are two PMBOs, then
>if they are on the same channel, there is a higher probability that
>someone will try yo use both at the same time and cause contention. But
>if they are on two different channels, then the odds go down. (duh!)
>
>Now if we go to three PMBOs on three different channels, things are
>good. But can we handle about as much traffic if we only use two
>channels? If a PMBO could hear and talk to all other devices then you
>could only have two channels running at any time, therefore no
>advantage. But since everyone hears differently, there could be some
>sharing that occurs, but then the hidden transmitter problem occurs.
>
>I believe that I am correct in assuming that the PMBO is the fixed
>station portion of the network, and if not, ignore everything else I'm
>about to say.
>
>Now, where Erlangs enter the equation is how many conversations can
>occur per day for 1, 2, or 3 PMBOs on different channels. Sometime
>unexpected is that 2 PMBOs can handle more than 2* a single PMBO and
>that 3 can handle more than three individual channels. The situation is
>that conversations are not generally randomly spread out through the
>day. There are some times where many people try yo talk at once. It's
>some rough math, but it goes back to the phones in a home as explained
>above.
>
>Now, in my book, it makes absolutely no sense for the PMBOs to be
>scanning, that's something that the user stations should be doing. After
>all, when you have two phones in the house, just look to see which one
>is not in use. That's called scanning.
>
>Now the third option of two transceivers is doable, but generally only
>if the transceivers are at different sites, which is really option B. I
>had one network using adjacent channels for transcontinental traffic and
>we found out that we had some big problems because the two channels were
>nominally in the same passband for the receiver. The receiver would
>adjust the AGC and bury the weak one in the noise.

Regards,
Chuck Mayfield

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/