--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew J. O'Brien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I thought this article by G4ILO to be most odd.
> Andy K3UK
>
> Should ham radio software be free?
> You may have seen my recent letter in the May issue of the RSGB
journal RadCom, in which I criticize the RSGB for giving the
society's 90th Anniversary Award to the authors of Ham Radio Deluxe
(HRD). Let me make it clear that I was not implying that there was
anything wrong with the HRD software, nor was I arguing that no
amateur radio software should be free. However, the RSGB's award was
allegedly given "for significant contribution to the development of
amateur radio technology." HRD may be an attractively designed,
powerful and well-supported piece of software, but it does nothing
that other, existing software cannot already do. In no way does it
make a significant contribution to the hobby in the way that, for
example, the PSK31 software developed several years ago by G3PLX has
done. I am afraid that the RSGB gave this award to HRD simply because
it is free. If so, I believe that it is sending entirely the wrong
message to both amateur radio programmers and users.

As a professional software developer, I also have a somewhat uneasy
feeling about free software and I have no problem with paying money
for good software, but I do object to being asked to pay for second-
rate code. I have spent a lot of time exploring amateur radio
software and settled on HRD because its currently the best around,
not because it is free. If the authors chose to charge a moderate
price, I would certainly have no hesitation in paying up.

I use HRD primarily for rig control and logging - for that, it leaves
the competition standing. The PSK functionality is not bad and I do
use it sometimes, but it is not a major consideration for me. I use
HRD with a Kenwood ts2000 - I tried the commercial Kenwood rig
control software and it really cannot compete - I was actually given
a pirate licence key for it, but still did not load it!

I have looked at the evaluation copies of MixW and have come close to
purchasing - it is pretty good, but I would only use it for PSK (I
use a Pakratt for RTTY and packet) and I think it is a little
overpriced for that alone.

I did start building my own software, implementing the best features
drawn from a variety of other packages, but life really is too short
for that and it is currently suspended. If I ever get round to
completing it, will I give it away? Probably, if anyone is interested
in it - as soon as you start taking money from people for your code,
you are required to support them and that is a real pain! The market
for amateur radio software really is too small to bother with
commercially, even if there were no free competition...

Martin (G8FXC)

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/