--- Rick Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Something to consider is that if many radio amateurs
> are using low power or
> medium power and you chose to use much higher power,
> while it may be
> possible for them to print you, you will likely not
> be able to print them
> and the QSO will not be able to continue if signals
> are that marginal.

A very old adage from Jeeves: "You´ve gotta hear´em to
work´em". Undeniable truth. It is certainly better to
spend on antennas than on amplifiers, it gives better
results and generally less RFI.

> I can see one possible use of an amplifier and that
> is when a ham has a very
> poor transmitting antenna system due to perhaps
> local restrictions.
> They can
> copy other stations OK but they have a difficult
> time being heard.

It generates a poor transmission...and reception, too.

I forgot to mention a gadget from MFJ I saw some time
ago: a series tuned ground for apartment dwellers.
Having the chasis of your radio hot with RF surely is
a call for trouble. Get one or make a copy, but the
metal case of your radio better be at zero RF
potential.

> Human nature would suggest that if it is found by
> many, that they can get
> much better results by running higher power (but
> clean)signals, then things
> will gravitate in that direction. Like most things
> in amateur radio, it is
> whatever interests the operator and what they find
> useful and fun to do.

I personally find broad signals the worse between
those two evils.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/
More info at http:///www.obriensweb.com