--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I am not a programmer, but what about the new direction so many
are taking
> with MONO?

Mono aims to allow 'generic' Microsoft (or other) .Net software to
run under Linux.  This is akin to writing, say, a C compiler for a
different platform... as long as you're talking 'number crunching'
mode, you can easily move code from platform to platform easily, but
as soon as you start getting fancy with a GUI where you need to
import the Windows system libraries, you haven't bought nearly as
much in the cross-platform compatibility department.  It's not
nearly as restrictive as with C, in that the 'generic' CLR that .Net
uses does know about GUI functionality, so perhaps we will see many
such cross-platform programs in the near future.  On the other hand,
for the very large number of novice programmers out there using
Microsoft's various 'wizards' in Visual Studio .Net, they'll
immediately be generating code that -- Mono not withstanding -- will
be difficult to port.

> This is a framework that allows for much easier cross platform
development
> between OS's. Some have indicated that they are not going to do
any more
> programming unless they can make it cross platform.

Well, on the upside, Mono may well make it easier to write cross-
platform software, but on the downside, the CLR is an interpreted
language, so routines such as filter, FFTs, etc. will be slower than
with C/C++ code.

> If we look longer term, most computers in the world will be
running Linux OS
> some time in the future.

Haha... that's quite a prediction!  I really don't see that
happening in the next, say, five years.  While people love to hate
Microsoft, the simple fact is that it works "well enough," Linux is
still not as friendly to the AVERAGE USER as Windows (or the Mac OS,
for that matter), and people purchasing PCs through the likes of
Dell are paying somewhere in the ballpark of $50 for their Windows
license -- less than many Linux distributions these days!

> This is due to the desire by many countries to have
> an OS that is free or very low cost and necessary in lower income
parts of
> the world and this will drive programming efforts. Just China
alone will
> skew the numbers a great deal, but there are some serious
movements toward
> Linux around the world.

Yes there are, and you make the good point that it's the countries
of the world like China where a $300 is in itself a large investment
that even a $50 operating system will be either (1) pirated or (2)
not used in lieu of, say, a $1 Linux CD.

As of today, however, Linux and the Mac OS each have all of about 3%
of the OS market -- so they've got a looonnnng way to go before
Microsoft _really_ begins to feel the heat.

> While Linux is not as polished as Windows, the gap is not wide
except for a
> few areas such as certain minor (but in some cases necessary)
nuances in
> word processing abilities and image issues with no built in color
management
> for serious photographic use.

EDA tool support for Linux is also still pretty lacking.  Still,
it's amazing what volunteers have done to date, and Linux is a great
platform for hacking.

> For many of us, we already use cross platform
> programs for much of our work, including Firebox for browsing and
Open
> Office for more and more of our office suite. Once you get used to
these
> programs to do much of your work, the underlying OS is not as
significant.

Exactly, and that's why -- in countries where people can afford to
buy $200 HTs, $2000 HF radios, and $20,000 SUVs, the cost of the
operating system on their PCs is a pretty low level concern, and the
inertia that Windows has will allow it to continue its market
dominance for years to come.

---Joel Kolstad

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM