> Andy K3UK wrote><
> But what do I need to transmit ALE?  I can receive it
> but I was under the impression that one needs a rig
> that can switch bands and frequencies automatically
> while matching the antenna all at the same time.

Hi Andy,

You can QSO with other ALE stations using manual frequency control or
manual antenna tuning, the same as you do for "digital modes".

You can also use computer control for receive scanning, and then use
manual control for transmitting. It is very flexible. You can think of
"manual ALE" as functioning like an advanced form of Selective
Calling, for voice SSB, or data "HF short text messaging" with ARQ
keyboarding built in for longer QSOs.

Be sure your dial is set exactly on one of the channels in the ALE
list (USB). To link with another station's ALE signal that you are
receiving, use the CALL (INDIVIDUAL CALL) command, and select their
callsign. The linking transmission happens immediately after hitting
the OK button. To call CQ, you can similarly try a CALL (NETCALL) to
the HFL net or an ANYCALL.

After you are linked with the other station(s) on a Voice channel,
then just start talking with your microphone on USB.

After you are linked on a Data channel, you have your choice in the
PCALE program, sending with AMD (automatic message delivery) "sms"
texting, or DTM (Data Text Message with ARQ) format for keyboarding.

For manual ALE operation, try one of these active channels:

7065.0 USB DATA
7102.0 USB DATA
7296.0 USB VOICE
14109.5 USB DATA