Hi John

It is very interesting question.
The following is my awkward idea.
Pse point out a mistake.

Remember once early RTTY with WIDE-SHIFT FSK.
There were mainly 3 SHIFT with 850,425,170Hz.

At AFSK, MARK is 2125 and SPASEs are 2295(170), 2550(425), 2975(850).
That is UP-SHIFT, SPACE is higher than MARK.

At RFSK transmitted in sky, like MARK is 14,090,000Hz SPACE is 14,089,
830Hz.
That is DOWN-SHIFT, SPACE is Lower than MARK,

When receiving two or more SHIFTs.
As for LSB, No need for VFO tuning, and change WIDTH.
As for USB, tuning VFO and change WIDTH at same time.
Although this was the convenience of LSB, it was lost now.

Now. It is simple that also set AFSK to "DOWN SHIFT" and it transmits by
USB.

Consequently,
the VFO dial direction and Waterfall direction are in agreement.
(I think, TRUETTY is in this idea.)
This is another convenience in narrow Digital Mode.

Sri for poor English.
Pse fill shortage with imagination. :-)

73 Hisami 7L4IOU