Title: RE: [digitalradio] Re: 39 Tone DQPSK - ARQ Modem in PCALE with FTP - (Soundcard)

Dave makes several invalid assumptions...but mainly that the 16 KHz signal would not allow any other modes or like modes access to the same 16 KHz...this is an error.  I would submit that a properly designed mode using 16 KHz could support 3 or 4 other like modes...then the average usage would be 4 KHz per user.  Or in the case of narrow bandwidth modes of like structure, they you might be able to fit 10 QSO in the same bandwidth...thus 11 users within 16 kHz or 1 user of every 1.5 KHz.

The other assumption is that there are NO signals like I describe on the air.  How do you know?  Do you have the receiver to hear/decode them?  Perhaps they are there and you don't know it.

I remember some older friends telling me that SSB was worthless and that AM was here forever as they fired up their Collins HF AM rigs.

What is our purpose?

97.1 Basis and purpose.
The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

I see no where in this purpose where it says we MUST have lots of QSOs to fulfill the purpose of Part 97.1.

IMHO carving out little slices of a band for different modes is more restrictive in practice than no restrictions at all.

73 and Have a GREAT Turkey Day.

Walt/K5YFW