Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 1:51 PM
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Digest Number 1722

I've been following the list now for some months.  I'm an OOT first licensed
in 1960.  And I am really interested in digital communication as I've earned
my living up to now (retiring) as an EE working with networks.

My question is:  Does anyone ever ask: "Do we need another digital Mode?"
It seems a new one is on the list about every 14 days.  It takes me about 30
minutes to figure out which mode I should be decoding!!

I am seeing mode proliferation that looks like it's being done to say "Look
a new mode and it does something better than another mode, ...but not
everything, some things it does worse...

It's like the feature proliferation in mobile phones, Geez I just want to
telephone with the thing and none of them can do as good a job as a real
camera or a real MP3 player. But they are more expensive and if you use the
features to send pictures etc. the provider is making a LOT of money.

73,

Bob DJ0MBC/WU5T

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to   telnet://208.15.25.196/